Monday, August 20, 2007

Back in Pittsburgh

It has been a few days now since I got back to Pittsburgh. It's funny, when I left for Europe, all I wanted to do was stay. Now that I'm back, I find that I've been melancholy. Granted there are a few things I'm grateful for now that I'm back in the states - a keyboard where all the punctuation is located where I expect it to be and websites defaulting to English just to name a few. I really miss all of my new friends, though. I have finally succumbed to using MSN messenger just to keep in touch with people internationally, so I've been sending out messages to people from Copenhagen and Shanghai. Hopefully, they'll want to stay in touch with me as much as I want to stay in touch with them.

On another note, funny thing happened on my eight hour flight back to the states. I was seated next to a horrible middle aged couple that I hate to call, but they are so I will, "White Trash." The whole entire flight, they complained about everything, argued about everything and it was interspersed with the wife saying, "O, Jim, you'a so funny" or "O, Jim, sto-ap it!" Towards the end of the flight, the flight attendent came by handing out those blue re-entry cards and when he got to our row, first he asked my citizenship and then asked if the three of us were a family! Sure, ok, maybe I was adopted, whatever. But the fact that he thought I was raised by that made me wave my arms in an emphatic "NO!" Obviously Mr. and Mrs. Jim didn't notice because then they turned around and joked with me, "Isn't that funny? They thought you were our daughter!" to which I replied with a weak laugh. Urk...

No comments: