Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Work Rant and then Dance Rant

Part of the joy of being the lunch and learn person is that I get to move all the food to the back room. Yesterday, as I'm placing the first tray on the kitchen table, Jason is already there picking at it, and goes, "Aren't there any desserts?" and I go, "yes" and he goes, "O, well, I'll just wait right here for it." Seriously? SERIOUSLY? So I'm walking back and forth, bringing the desserts, then the salad, then the silverware and finally the drinks, and he's just sitting there stuffing his face going, "God, you volunteered to do this?" No, Jason. I volunteered to set up the presentations. This is just part of the responsibility. I did NOT volunteer to be your waitress, so next time you decide to skip out on the lunch and learn and partake of the food you do nothing to deserve, try offering to help me carry some things over.

Commence Dance Rant:
I had a doozy of a dance class last night. I think I get on the teacher's nerves. It was that really hard advanced level dance class again. There was a really cluless girl who i thought was Chinese taking the class. I didn't think she was that bad, but at one point the teacher was telling her to do a croise (means "cross the legs" in ballet ), and she had no idea what he meant and it was mostly a language barrier thing I think. After class, I was heading out the classroom and i heard him talking to her. He started by just straight out saying, "this class is too hard for you. you need to take an easier class." and when she looked really confused, he started trying Japanese. She kind of nodded and smiled, as in "I have no clue what you're saying," and he got very frustrated and said to her that she also needed to learn English.
By that time I had already waved and said thank you and scootched out the door to what i thought was safety, except that he followed me out and then had a little chat with me about how when he gives me comments, he needs me to give him some sort of acknowledgement that tells him that I understand, like a "thank you." I've been nodding and saying okay, so I guess it really annoyed him that it never occurred to me to say thank you. I guess I just fell out of that habit, because my dance teachers are usually less scary and I can smile and they get my thank you without me really saying it... And then I explained to him that a lot of times, I'm not sure that he's talking to me because I can't see his eyes without my glasses on and then he kind of had a eureka moment and figured I dance in a very small space and don't project because I can't see anything to project to and to focus on. And he mentioned that I should get contacts or some straps for my glasses. Maybe if I was going to be pro, I'd invest in some handy little contacts, but those things sting my eyes and I'd rather not spend the money on them. Didn't tell him that. And then things were really awkward and I didn't know what to say to him so I made some comment about the weather and how I had to beat the rain home and practically ran out the door.
Some people just make me sooo uncomfortable. He's a good teacher though. Boy that was a long story... Going to my usual contemporary teacher's class tomorrow. That will be fun. I'm going to chat with her about this teacher. He's her mentor which is why I started to take his class. She adores him and I've seen them chatting very comfortably together. I guess what I want to figure out is if he's so annoyed by me that I should just give up and take someone else's class. Though, I suppose if I was too horrible, he'd have told me straight out as well that this class is too hard for me. Now he just thinks I need glasses. I'm mildly horrified by the thought that he'll be criticizing me for the rest of the summer about not wearing glasses or contacts. God...

No comments: